As summer comes to an end, we welcome the autumn season and wonderful fall foods. Ready or not for pumpkin spice flavored everything! Of course pumpkin is a delicious and nutritious fall food. Pumpkin always comes to mind since autumn is when pumpkin is in-season and ready to cook, bake, or carve! Pumpkin is different from pumpkin spice. Pumpkin is the actual veggie, whereas pumpkin spice is just a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. Just because a food is ‘pumpkin spice’ flavor does not mean it contains pumpkin! For the best nutrition, choose foods made with real pumpkin. Not only delicious in sweet and savory recipes, pumpkin is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, and magnesium. Pumpkin promotes gut health, heart health, vision, and healthy skin. Pumpkin is great when added to muffin or pancake batter, incorporated into chili, top for a Shepherd’s pie, and of course baked in desserts.
Try our pumpkin spice hummus recipe!
- 1 can Our Family Canned Chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp Our Family Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Our family Canned Pumpkin
- 1/3 cup Full circle Cashew Butter, almond butter or tahini
- 3 Tbsp Our Family Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Our family Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas and rest of ingredients to a food processor.
- Puree until consistency is smooth.
- Enjoy with pita chips.
Here are some other in season fruits and vegetables to try this season:
- Spaghetti squash
- Butternut squash
- Acorn squash
- Brussels sprouts